Gypsy, Roma and Traveller inclusion and achievement
Research shows that Gypsy, Roma and Traveller (GRT) children are most at risk in the education system, they continue to have the lowest achievement and attendance of any ethnic group in all key stages across schools and settings in Kent.
Over the past few years there has been an improvement but the gap is still unacceptable and significantly high.
ISSK incorporates The Virtual School for GRT pupils. We provide advice and guidance for teaching and support staff to help raise the achievement and inclusion of Gypsy, Roma and Traveller children and young people in our schools and settings. We can also advise on parental and community engagement.
Our team provides consultancy, support and training to:
- Develop knowledge about GRT culture, history and traditions which will support staff to better understand the Gypsy, Roma and Traveller children in their schools and settings through centralised training advertised by CPDonline and bespoke sessions
- Increase language and ethnicity declarations
- Scrutinise data and use
- Provide strategies to overcome barriers to education for these children and their families
- Share resources and model lesson that can be incorporated into a GRT inclusive curriculum
- Work alongside staff to engage parents in the life of the school
- Provide 1-1 or small group support to engage pupils in their learning
- Support schools to celebrate Gypsy, Roma and Traveller History Month (GRTHM)
- Use data effectively to identify any underperformance and evaluate effectiveness of support strategies
- Build confidence of staff and pupils to challenge racism and discrimination.
CPD online training
- Traveller Attainment in a Secondary School (DOCX, 15.2 KB)
- Holistic impact of GRT support in a Rural Primary School (DOCX, 16.6 KB)
- Ofsted Good Practice Case Study March 2015 - Parkside Primary, Canterbury, Kent
Feedback from Training
"Increased my knowledge considerably, keen to get back to school to share information and see data on our GRT pupils."
"My awareness has certainly been ‘heightened’ I now know where to find specific resources to engage our GRT children."
"Very informative, I now have ideas on how to build relationships with our Traveller families."
Gillie Heath, Manager
Telephone: 03000 41 70 93
Mobile: 07880 784528