Free Early Education places for 2 year olds
Free early education places for 2 year olds is known in Kent as the Free for 2 or 'FF2' scheme.
We have a duty to provide eligible 2 year olds up to 570 hours of free early education a year over 38 weeks of the year term time or up to 52 weeks stretched funding.
A child is eligible if:
- they come within the criteria used to determine eligibility for Free School Meals
- their families receive Working Tax Credits and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190 per year
- their families receive Universal Credit and have an annual net income of no more than £15,400
- they have a current statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and care plan
- they are entitled to Disability Living Allowance
- they are looked after by a local authority
- they are no longer looked after by the local authority as a result of an adoption order, a special guardianship order or a child arrangements order which specifies with whom the child lives.
Eligible children can start claiming after they turn two, depending on when their birthday is.
|Child's 2nd birthday||When they can claim from|
|1 January to 31 March||the beginning of term on or after 1 April|
|1 April to 31 August||the beginning of term on or after 1 September|
|1 September to 31 December||the beginning of term on or after 1 January|
Kent County Council's website has more information on how to apply for free early education for 2 year olds.
Synergy training options survey
FF2 Scheme Guidance
Information for Parents and Carers, Early Years Providers, Eligible Childminders and Children's Centres can be found by following the links below:
- FF2 information sheet for Early Years providers (PDF, 226.8 KB)
- Parents and Carers (PDF, 220.9 KB)
- Children's Centres (PDF, 260.1 KB)
How to submit an FF2 claim
Synergy FIS Provider Portal is now replacing all new starter, continuing and adjustment claim forms.
Please log in via the link above and use the FIS Provider guidance notes for submitting adjustments (PDF, 733.1 KB) to navigate your way through the portal.
To comply with GDPR guidelines from 25 May 2018 we have revised the Parental Declaration form. For any new children accessing funding from 25 May 2018 the parent will need to complete the GDPR parental declaration form below.
FF2 Payment Schedule
Provider payment information for 2018/19; please note this is a revised schedule detailing the dates when claim forms should be received and when payments are made.
- 2018/19 FF2 Payment Schedule (PDF, 194.4 KB)
- Summer 2019 FF2 Payment Schedule (PDF, 132.5 KB)
- 2019/20 FF2 Payment Schedule (PDF, 135.1 KB)
You can download a poster below:
The Department for Education's Early Education document (PDF, 538.9 KB) contains statutory guidance from the Department for Education for English local authorities on their duties under sections 6, 7, 7A, 9A, 12 and 13 of the Childcare Act 2006. Local authorities must have regard to this guidance when seeking to discharge those duties.
Kent Provider Agreement
The first few years of a child's life are crucially important to their development. Kent County Council are working with providers across the county to make early education for 2, 3 and 4 year olds easily accessible. The Kent Provider Agreement provides a framework which outlines the mutual commitments on delivering the early education free entitlement.
3 and 4 year old funding
Contact a member of Management Information which manages the FF2 Scheme in Kent by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.