Sugar Smart World - Public Health England
17 January 2019
New Change4Life nutrition resources available for schools.
With 34% of children leaving Primary school overweight, Change4Life has launched a new campaign, “make a swap when you next shop”, encouraging families to cut back on sugar. To complement the national campaign, Change4Life has created interactive lesson plans in partnership with teachers, qualified nutritionists and dental professionals. These English and Maths teaching resources support teachers to educate pupils about how to make healthier choices.
The resources are set in ‘Sugar Smart World’ and teach pupils that the number of extra sugar cubes they are consuming is enough to wrap around the world more than three and a half times. A cartoon-themed Science lesson plan also helps pupils understand the effects that sugar has on their teeth.
The new Change4Life schools resources include:
- English lesson plan PowerPoints and worksheets; including songs, a poster, comic strip and persuasive letter template for children aged 5 to 11 years old (school Years 1 to 6)
- Maths lesson plan PowerPoints and worksheets for each school year for children aged 5 to 11 years old (school Years 1 to 6)
- Early Years lesson plan PowerPoint for children under 5 years old (nursery and Reception)
- Tilly the Tooth lesson plans for children aged 5 to 11 years old (school Years 1 to 6), in which pupils set up a simple science experiment to observe how sugar can affect teeth, and learn about making better choices to stay healthy
- display board print-outs for schools to showcase their pupils’ work and promote healthier swaps to families
- recipe idea print-outs with healthy recipes from around the world for teachers to make with pupils and send home to families.
Encourage school professionals to sign up to the School Zone, so they can be the first to hear about new teaching resources launching later this year.
Sugar Smart World take-home packs
Schools should watch out for Sugar Smart World take-home packs arriving via courier from mid-late January, which include fun and informative activities for pupils to do with their families. Schools can order more packs from the School Zone in February.
New Rise Above resources
New Rise Above for Schools lesson plans for pupils aged 10 to 16 (school Years 5 to 11) are coming soon, focusing on how to support pupils to deal with changes in their lives. All Rise Above school resources have been accredited by the PSHE Association.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.