Bake off to celebrate the Queen’s 90th
10 June 2016
Children have been celebrating the Queen’s 90th birthday with a competition inspired by the Great British Bake Off.
Primary schools were asked to come up with their own cake design to celebrate Her Majesty’s birthday and 13 finalists were picked from the scores of entries across the county.
Kent County Council had over 100 entries from primary schools across Kent.
They were then invited to County Hall in Maidstone and tasked with turning their designs into a reality.
The cakes were judged by Lady De L’Isle, wife of the Lord Lieutenant of Kent, and celebrity chef Rosemary Shrager.
Kent County Council Chairman Tom Gates said: “The idea behind this came from my wife, Marion, and we were delighted by the response we received.
“We were all very impressed with the designs and the creations that were brought to County Hall were brilliant.
“Well done to everyone who took part.”
All 13 finalists received a commemorative coin and those in the top three also received gift vouchers.
The shortlisted finalists were:
- Joshua, nine, from Cage Green Primary School
- Abi, ten, from Wittersham Primary School
- Thea, eleven, from Bodsham C/E Primary School
- Ellie, nine, from Sutton Valence Primary School
- Tobias, seven, from Newlands Primary School
- Harry, eight, from Sissinghurst (VA) C of E
- Esmee, eight. from Eastry Primary School
- Heidi, ten, from Sandgate Primary School
- Leo, nine, from Tunstall Primary School
- Esther, ten, from West Borough Primary School
- Callum, nine, from Hawkinge Primary School
- Acacia, eight, from Kingsdown & Ringwould CEP
- Macey, eleven, and Breanna, eleven, from Kemsley Primary Academy
Third prize went to Joshua, second prize to Esmee and the winner was Abi.
Abi received a cookery masterclass with Rosemary Shrager as well as a gift voucher.
Everyone who took part got a special commemorative £5 coin, a certificate, and the book, Unconquered: The Story of Kent and its Lieutenancy.
Patrick Leeson would like to congratulate everybody involved for all of their hard work and for creating these excellently designed cakes.
Visit the KCC Media Hub to view all of the entries from the day.