Skip to content

School crossing patrol

School crossing patrols (SCP) are provided at, or near, schools to assist pedestrians with crossing the road in the mornings and afternoons during the school term. School crossing patrols are not provided for any controlled crossing currently established i.e. Zebra, Pelican, Puffin or Toucan.

All sites and school crossing patrols must legally be approved by KCC, including establishing any new schemes and recruiting or replacing staff. Whilst normally funded by KCC, the school’s Headteacher (or delegate) are required to locally supervise on a day to day basis.

All KCC approved School Crossing Patrol’s, whether or not in receipt of KCC funding, must comply with legislation and the guidelines on operating the crossing. These can be seen below and follow the national Road Safety GB Guidance on SCP’s.

All SCP selection and recruitment issues are managed by the KCC Safer Mobility Team, whilst training and annual monitoring is provided by the KCC SMT Instructors.

School crossing patrols wearing the approved uniform, have a legal right to stop traffic for all pedestrians requiring assistance to cross the road.

It is an offence for any person in charge of a vehicle to fail to stop for a school crossing patrol in full uniform with the sign displayed. SCP’s have the same authority as a police officer to stop traffic. Driver’s failing to stop put vulnerable road users at risk. School crossing patrol staff will report any driver failing to stop to Kent Police, possibly resulting in their prosecution.

Request a new school crossing patrol location
pink line

If the Headteacher (or designated officer) of the school thinks that there is a need to have a new crossing patrol, they need to contact Highways, Transportation and Waste and state the preferred site, identified crossing point and the reason for the request. If this request is deemed to be reasonable, the site will be assessed using the national Road Safety GB criteria.

Request a replacement School Crossing Patrol
pink line

Following the notification from an existing SCP to resign, the Headteacher (or designated officer) must contact the KCC Safer Mobility Team by emailing to receive authorisation to recruit a replacement patrol. The decision to authorise recruitment will be based on the same assessment and Road Safety GB criteria used to initially grant establishing a school crossing patrol.

School Crossing Patrol Recruitment
pink line

We are continually recruiting for School Crossing Patrols across the County at vacant patrol sites.

These positions require a dedicated community-minded person to carry out this important role of ensuring the safety of children on their way to and from school.

We are always keen to hear from members of the community who can demonstrate an awareness of traffic and conditions; have a sense of responsibility; are keen to show the dedication and commitment required in making the roads of Kent safer for children.

The current pay is £9/hour (from April 2019) working for 38 term-time weeks, plus an allowance for taking holidays during school term-breaks. Uniform is provided, together with full training, monitoring and support.

The number of hours worked will depend on the school site but will be between 5 hours and 10 hours per week.

Our adverts can be found through the Kent County Council Current Vacancies website (search for road crossing patrol); alternatively, contact us on 03000 42 24 01 or email

Your local school may also be able to provide vacancy information.

Parent and Carer responsibility
pink line

Parents and carers may regard the provision of a patrol as an indication that Kent County Council are assuming responsibility for the safety of their children on their journey to and from school. However, they remain responsible for ensuring their children's safety to and from school even where a patrol is provided.

Schools should ensure that they can provide emergency cover by arranging for a relief patrol or having another member of staff trained to cover. If this is not possible, the school should inform parents and carers as soon as possible, so they are aware there will be no patrol provided.

Advice to give parents and carers
pink line

To ensure your children are safe when travelling to and from school please remember to:

  • cross only at the designated crossing point with the patrol
  • wait on the kerb
  • don't follow the patrol into the road
  • only cross when the patrol tells you
  • always walk in front of the patrol
  • always dismount cycles and scooters before crossing
  • do not run across the road
  • always park responsibly and never on zig zags or other parking restrictions

Additional information can be found on the Kent Childlife website.

KCC School Crossing Patrol Incident Reporting
pink line

Unfortunately there are occasions where School Crossing Patrols have incidents of vehicle’s failing to stop, or drivers threatening or abusing them. Whilst these are becoming more frequent, they remain rare in comparison to the numbers of crossings managed by SCP’s each day.

When these occur the SCP’s have been trained to obtain details of vehicles and persons involved. The details should be recorded in school using the Incident Report Form below, and follow the reporting procedures to Kent Police.

KCC has zero tolerance for any person who fails to stop, threatens or abuses staff and incidents should be reported using the process below.

Responsible Parking Scheme
pink line

KCC actively promote responsible parking around schools to ensure the safety of pedestrians, SCP’s, other road users and being ‘good neighbours’ to local residents. Further information on the KCC Responsible Parking Scheme can be found at:

Highways Faults and Reporting
pink line

School Crossing Patrols and schools are encouraged to report any faults that occur on roads or footpaths around the school and the crossing point by notifying the fault to KCC Highways by:

School Crossing Patrol Uniform
pink line

All items of mandatory SCP uniform (hat or peaked cap; full length coat and road sign) will be ordered by the Safer Mobility Team; however, information on suppliers can be found at:

Resources for schools, parents and drivers
pink line

School Travel Plan
pink line

More information about developing and updating your school travel plan