Skip to content

Non emergency number

101 police non-emergency number

While 999 is a well-recognised number used to report emergencies, the 2010 British Crime Survey found that 54% of the public do not know how to contact their local police if they want to talk to them about policing, crime or anti-social behaviour. 

The introduction of the 101 number will give the public a simple, easy way to contact their local police force to report non-emergency crime and disorder, to speak to their local officers or make general enquiries. The current Kent Police number, 01622 690690 will remain in place for callers from overseas but will no longer be promoted as the non-emergency number.

You may want to use the following examples with children and young people to promote the different circumstances under which you may call 101 and 999.

Perhaps ask children and young people to create posters highlighting when to use 101, which can then be displayed around the school to promote the new number to other pupils, parents and staff.

Call 999 if;

  • you or someone else are in danger;
  • you can see someone committing a crime;
  • someone has a weapon at school; or 
  • you have been approached by a stranger and you feel threatened. 

Call 101 when there is no life in danger or crime in progress, for example:

  • if your bicycle has been stolen;
  • if you or a friend have been offered drugs;
  • someone has intentionally damaged your property;
  • you would like to speak to a local police officer; or 
  • you have information about a crime that has already been committed.

Frequently asked questions (and answers) (PDF, 14.1 KB)

Kent Crimestoppers

You can call Kent Crimestoppers to give information about a crime anonymously by calling 0800 555111.

Kent Police - 'Your guide to...'

Kent Police have a series of guides offering concise, practical information and advice on a range of policing topics. You can download these guides from the Kent Police website.