A message from Matt Dunkley CBE:
30 November 2018 weekly update
30 November 2018
This week, Matt launches our formal consultation on the proposed Pupil Referral Unit (PRU) Funding Model.
Pupil Referral Unit (PRU) Funding Model Consultation
Following on from recent face to face discussions at the Headteacher Briefings, Kent Association of Headteachers Area Boards and Schools Funding Forum, I am pleased to now launch our formal consultation on the proposed Pupil Referral Unit (PRU) Funding Model. This consultation will run for 6 term-time weeks, closing on Friday 25 January 2019. At the Schools Funding Forum Meeting today, the consultation was discussed and SFF Members have requested that the consultation paper is supplemented by an ‘impact statement of provision in each area’ which will be circulated as an addendum in next week’s e-bulletin.
These proposals seek to develop a new funding model for PRUs and Alternative Provision (AP) in Kent, to ensure that all schools operate in a way that is inclusive whilst continuing to improve performance and outcomes for all children, in line with the Government’s vision published in March 2018 - Creating Opportunity for All: Out Vision for Alternative Provision, which aims to ensure that:
- the right children are placed in AP
- children have good experiences of, and receive high quality education in, AP
- children achieve meaningful outcomes after leaving AP
- AP is recognised as an integral part of the education system
- the system is designed to achieve high quality outcomes for children and value for money for the taxpayer.
In this consultation, the two different stages of the current model are explained, with the recommendation to continue to calculate the district allocation using the existing formula but to include additional elements. There are considerations in relation to implementing either a fully devolved funding model or a half devolved, half delegated funding model.
I encourage all staff and representatives of Schools, Academies, Pupil Referral Units and Alternative Provision in Kent; and any individuals or organisations who would like to make comment on the proposals; to respond to the Consultation.
To submit a response to this consultation, please complete the Consultation Response Form (DOCX, 25.4 KB) and send to firstname.lastname@example.org by 25 January 2019. The full consultation report and supporting information is provided as follows:
- PRU Funding Model Consultation Document (DOCX, 111.8 KB)
- Appendix 1: Proposed Model Impact on Individual Schools and District Allocations (PDF, 176.5 KB)
- Consultation Response Form (DOCX, 25.4 KB)
- Equality Impact Assessment (DOC, 66.0 KB)
If you have any questions about the Consultation, please email your enquiry to: email@example.com.
Matt Dunkley CBE
Children, Young People and Education