Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) Training
The courses cover the essential information and knowledge for DSL's to fully meet the requirements of national guidance Keeping Children Safe in Education
In line with Department for Education guidelines, the DSL must be a member of the school leadership team and have the authority to make safeguarding decisions on behalf of the school.
- DSL (whole day) - Essential training for Designated Safeguarding Leads who are new to the role or have not attended training within the last three years. Please note in response to Covid-19 restrictions, this course is taking place virtually in terms 1 and 2 for 2020-21.
- DSL Refresher training (whole day) - This training is an update for those experienced DSLs who have completed DSL training, and enables them to maintain the statutory requirement to attend child protection training every two years. Please note in response to Covid-19 restrictions, this course is now taking place virtually through an eLearning course for 2020-21
- Online Safeguarding for Designated Safeguarding Leads and Senior Leadership Staff (whole day) - This training seeks to support designated persons with their responsibilities regarding schools online safeguarding policy and practice. Please note this course is for DSLs only; it does not qualify as a refresher training for DSL role but would count as an at least annual update. Please note in response to Covid-19 restrictions, this course is suspended for 2020.
- Safeguarding Conference for Designated Safeguarding Leads in Schools (whole day) - This training is for experienced Designated Safeguard Leads (DSL) in schools and colleges who need to complete an annual update as required by Keeping Children Safe in Education (KCSIE) 2018, it will not be classed as a DSL Refresher training. Please note in response to Covid-19 restrictions, this course is suspended for 2020.
To book register or log onto CPD Online
Whole School or Setting Training
Whole school or setting training is the responsibility of the DSL. This training should take place for all new and existing staff.
Bespoke whole school/setting training can be commissioned from the Education Safeguarding Service. Please speak to your Area Safeguarding Advisor Support (PDF, 70.5 KB) for more information.
To support Designated Safeguarding Leads (DSLs) in schools provide staff training themselves in line with national guidance and local Kent processes, the Education Safeguarding Service have produced a Whole School Safeguarding Training Pack for DSLs to use, which includes a PowerPoint presentation template and supplementary guidance document. The pack can be purchased through the Education People
Safeguarding Training for Governors
Information for governors:
- Keeping Children Safe in Education
- Ofsted - inspecting safeguarding
- Ofsted - School Inspection Handbook
- What to do if you're worried a child is being abused
- UKCIS - Online safety in schools and colleges - Questions from the Governing Board
Safeguarding training for governors is available through CPD Online
Bespoke training can be commissioned from the Education Safeguarding Service. Please contact the service for more information.
Safeguarding Courses for Early Years Providers
There is training for those who have designated responsibility for safeguarding children in their Early Years setting, as well as basic safeguarding awareness training for all Early Years staff. These training opportunities can be accessed through CPD Online
For setting staff:
- Early Years Basic Child Protection Awareness. Please note in response to Covid-19 restrictions, this course is taking place virtually in terms 1 and 2 for 2020-21.
For the Designated Safeguarding Lead:
- Early Years Designated Safeguarding Lead Training - for the person delegated to safeguarding. Please note in response to Covid-19 restrictions, this course is taking place virtually in terms 1 and 2 for 2020-21.
- Early Years Designated Safeguarding Lead Refresher - for the person delegated to safeguarding. Please note in response to Covid-19 restrictions, this course is taking place as eLearning for 2020-21
Safeguarding Training for Childminders (Safeguarding Children and Thresholds for Intervention).
- Please go to the Early Years section of CPD Online and search under keyword 'childminder' for more information and to book.
- Please note, an eLearning course is currently available in response to Covid-19 restrictions for 2020-21
Kent Safeguarding Children Multi-Agency Partnership Training
The Kent Safeguarding Children Multi-Agency Partnership (KSCMP) provide training for all staff who work with children and young people. This training is not specific to education settings, so staff may require supplementary content and training via the DSL.
Visit the KSCMP website for more information and to view their training calendar.