Kent Health Needs Education Service (KHNES)
For pupils not well enough to attend school, it is important that the local authority and schools have clear support available to successfully maintain a continuation of education.
Health Needs Education is run by the Kent Local Authority for children who are unable to attend school because of serious illness.
Primary School Projects
There are six hubs across Kent providing new ways of working in managing behaviour at Primary schools.
How to apply for one of your pupils
Schools can apply by sending a completed referral form along with medical evidence to the appropriate Headteacher for their area. When a decision has been made, The Health Needs Education Service team will contact all parties.
Where our services are located
We are based at the following schools:
- Leybourne - Woodview, 40 Teddington Drive, Leybourne, West Malling ME19 5FF
- Tonbridge - Aspen House, 10 Cage Green Road, Tonbridge TN10 4PT
- Gravesend - Maple House, Windsor Road, Gravesend DA12 5BW
- Canterbury - The Willows, City View, Canterbury CT2 8PT
- Dover - Dover Arc, Winchelsea Street, Elmsvale, Dover CT17 9ST
- Oakfields Education Unit. Staplehurst (providing education for children who are attending the Kent and Medway Adolescent Unit in Staplehurst).
|Mark Goode||Executive Head Teacher||M.Goode@khnes.kent.sch.uk|
|Carla Walmsley||Deputy Head Teacher||C.Walmsley@khnes.kent.sch.uk|
|Patrick Hannaway||Assistant Head Teacher||P.Hannaway@khnes.kent.sch.uk|
|James Fewtrell||Assistant Head Teacher||J.Fewtrell@khnes.kent.sch.uk|
|Mohammed Malik||Assistant Head Teacher||M.Malik@khnes.kent.sch.uk|
Policy on Supporting Children and Young People with Medical Conditions including Mental Health Needs
This KCC Policy document (PDF, 131.1 KB) was been approved by the Education Cabinet Committee. This is under review.
Presentations from the Briefing on a New Education Service for Pupils with Medical Needs including Mental Health Needs - 24 October 2014
- Model process for developing Individual Healthcare Plans presentation (PPTX, 128.0 KB) (2014 documentation, currently under review)
- KCC Framework to support young people with Medical Needs presentation 2014 - Sue Dunn and Alison Osborne (PPTX, 90.7 KB)
- National Context, the Local Authorities role in supporting young people with Health Needs and next steps - Patrick Leeson, Corporate Director Education and Young People's Services 2014 (PPTX, 108.3 KB)
- Helping schools to support young people with mental health needs 2014 (PPT, 387.0 KB)