Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP)
Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP) introduced in April 2015 provides extra funding for 3 and 4 year old children:
- whose parents are in receipt of certain benefits or
- who have been in care or adopted from care (approximately 13% of children).
It provides an extra £302 a year for any child receiving 15 hours of the Early Education Entitlement.
How to apply
Go to Free Early Education for 3 to 4 year olds and scroll down to the EYPP section, you will find the following:
- EYPP update letter
- On-line form for EYPP applications
- EYPP guidance information
Please note that you can no longer apply for EYPP using a paper based application.
Letting parents and carers know about EYPP
- include the EYPP in publicity and marketing including websites, Facebook etc.
- include the EYPP as part of universal admissions procedure including information at home visits
- give parents our FAQs (DOCX, 15.7 KB) about EYPP
- give examples of how the funding will enable you to give children additional support and how it will help children to be ready for school
Other points to remember
- Education Endowment Foundation Toolkit shows that funding spent on communication and language projects and self-regulation has the highest impact for the least cost
- Equality and Inclusion Team deliver I CAN training which is very effective, well evidenced and excellent use of EYPP. See Threads of Success for details
- consider pooling funding with other settings and in your collaborations
- consider buying the services of outside professionals
- Ofsted will want to see evidence of impact of the funding, see Ofsted: Unknown children - destined for disadvantage?
Have you considered using your EYPP funding to fund the I CAN Early Talk Boost intervention programme? A number of settings have already done this and have started to report extremely good results in terms of seeing improvement in children's communication and social skills.
- for advice on effective use of EYPP and to receive a call or Kent funded (free) visit, download and complete Equality and Inclusion Special Educational Needs and Disability Support Request (DOCX, 42.0 KB) and email to EYinclusion@theeducationpeople.org
- for advice on funding processes and claim details, contact Management Information on 03000 42 28 28 or email email@example.com.
- Ideas about how to use EYPP (DOCX, 22.8 KB) collated from provider comments at EYPP briefings
- Early Education booklet: Practical tips on allocating Early Years Pupil Premium Funding
Visit Free Early Education for information and guidance for settings and parents including eligibility criteria.
For further information visit Gov.uk